Minneapolis, MN – Unicorn Riot is reporting from the site where Minneapolis police just killed a man in North Minneapolis, Thurman Blevins, who is said to be 30 or 31 years old. We are at the scene and collecting witness testimony.
UPDATED POST – Sunday June 24: Witnesses Claim Thurman ‘Jun’ Blevins was Unarmed when Killed by Minneapolis PD. Unicorn Riot covered the community gathering live on Sunday.
An eyewitness told Unicorn Riot that Minneapolis police drove up on the victim who was sitting on the curb and tased the man. The man attempted to run away and was shot in the back multiple times by police.
UPDATE – July 31, 2018 2:30 pm Central: Body camera footage was released Sunday, July 29, showing Blevins had a gun. The next day, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced that no charges would be filed against MPD officers Justin Schmidt and Ryan Kelly.
Unicorn Riot coverage of Thurman Blevins' Killing by MPD:
- Police Kill Man in North Minneapolis - June 23, 2018
- Witnesses Claim Thurman ‘Jun’ Blevins was Unarmed when Killed by Minneapolis PD - June 24, 2018
- Body Cam Videos of Police Killing Blevins to be Released Post-BCA Interviews - June 27, 2018
- Questions Remain in Blevins Killing as Mayor Promises Footage Release by End-of-July - July 23, 2018
- No Charges Filed in Blevins’ Killing as Body Camera Footage is Released - July 31, 2018
To help our volunteer operated, horizontally organized, non-profit media collective please consider a tax-deductible donation: